© The Associated Press President Donald Trump, first lady Melania Trump and their son Barron Trump walk on the South Lawn upon arrival at the White House in Washington, Sunday, June 18, 2017, from Camp David in Maryland.
WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump and one of his personal lawyers have contradicted each other over whether the president is under investigation by the special counsel probing Russians’ meddling in the 2016 election and possible links with the Trump campaign.
A look at recent statements by Trump, lawyer Jay Sekulow and Vice President Mike Pence on the Russia investigation and a variety of other matters:
TRUMP tweet Friday: “I am being investigated for firing the FBI Director by the man who told me to fire the FBI Director! Witch Hunt.”
THE FACTS: This apparent slap at Rod Rosenstein, the deputy attorney general, is at odds with Trump’s own account of how James Comey was fired. Trump said previously that a memo from Rosenstein recommending the FBI director’s termination didn’t matter. “Regardless of the recommendation, I was going to fire Comey,” he told NBC News in early May.
Attorney General Jeff Sessions testified to Congress that Trump wanted a memo laying out the case for firing Comey. But the president took sole responsibility for doing it, at least until he seemed to try to shift it Friday to the deputy.
It’s also an oversimplification to say he’s being investigated for firing Comey. Presidents have the authority to get rid of the FBI director. The issue is whether Trump criminally obstructed justice.
By Comey’s account, the president leaned on him to back off the FBI’s investigation of his former national security adviser, Michael Flynn, and fired him three months later as a way to alter the course of a broader probe into potential coordination between Russia and associates of the Trump campaign. Trump’s tweet seems to confirm that his interactions with Comey now are part of the special counsel’s expanding investigation — except that his own lawyer says that is not so. Continue reading Whom to believe, Trump or his lawyer?
More than 100 people gathered on the steps of the Boston Public Library in Copley Square Tuesday night at a vigil to remember Nabra Hassanen, the Muslim teenager who was killed early Sunday after leaving a mosque in Fairfax, Va.
Many Muslim women attended the somber gathering, which also attracted pedestrians passing through the square.
Hassanen, 17, was beaten with a baseball bat as she walked home after attending a Ramadan prayer service.Viriginia police have ruled her death was an act of road rage and not a hate crime.
Representatives of Islamic groups offered words of remembrance, comfort, and, at times, anger.
“Simply calling the incident road rage does not answer enough questions, and we need answers,” said Shannon Al-Wakeel, executive director and co-founder of the Muslim Justice League. “We don’t have to know what the motive was to justify the death of Nabra.”
The half-hour vigil was organized at the suggestion of the Women’s Islamic Initiative in Spirituality and Equality, said Noor Traina, 17, one of the organizers.
Traoina said Hassanen’s death devastated her and that she has experienced the dangers that Muslim women face in America. Continue reading Boston mourns Muslim teen slain in Virginia